Overview of our proposal
Our property is a large plot of land (nearly 3/4 acre) with over 130-feet of road frontage on Huntington Ave, directly adjacent to the Laura Mews Pl. entrance to your beautiful Huntington Mews community.
Currently, the 1936 property is vacant and in significant disrepair, with only a thin layer of bamboo blocking the view of the house from Huntington Ave. We believe this lot is of high significance to the general character of this stretch of the Huntington corridor, and our goal is to develop the lot into a series of Five (5) new townhomes.
We think this is the best thing for the community for several reasons:
1. It will significantly improve the visual appearance of the east end of Huntington Ave. by expanding on the medium-density residential nature that currently characterizes Huntington Mews, and much of Alexandria. On the contrary, property developments on the opposite end of Huntington are large, high-density condominiums and apartment buildings.
2. It will increase your property values. Studies by the Journal of Housing Economics (PDF available to view on the Documents page) have shown that new construction is generally good for surrounding home values, especially when the existing homes are located within 1/4 mile of the new construction. The full study is available to read and includes citations and graphs.
3. This will NOT affect your HOA fees. Your HOA will not be responsible for maintaining the property. The new homes will form their own HOA and operate self-sufficiently. To the contrary, the contributions and assistance offered as a part of this easement agreement will ease the financial burden on residents.
4. During the course of the development, we will assist in the trimming of dead trees and brush on adjacent Huntington Mews property.
5. We will include Five (5) visitor parking spaces which will be made available for use by Huntington Mews residents. These visitor spaces are in addition to the 2-car garages and driveways that will come with each home.
6. Monetary contributions are being offered to the Huntington Mews HOA community as follows:
- $75,480 contribution to be split as desired by residents between reserve funds and community improvements
- Ongoing shared road maintenance fees will be paid from the new HOA to Huntington Mews HOA for use of approx. 600-feet of roadway on Laura Mews Place and Foley Avenue in the amount of $20 per house per month. This comes out to $1,200/yr or $6,000 every 5 years, which will be more than sufficient for minor road maintenance.
7. Desired community improvements may be coordinated as needed during the course of construction.